stahp the cahp

It’s a gathering that brings together Baltimore’s furtive network of white elites, which is spread over a network of a dozen prep schools and half a dozen country clubs, which is employed by Johns Hopkins and T. Rowe Price and Legg Mason (all headquartered here in Baltimore). Hunt Cup means that spring is here. Hunt Cup means that you can eat canapes out of the back of your car. Hunt Cup means that men will hold porta-potty doors. Hunt Cup means that you can smoke pot in front of the cops...

It was nearing three and the lot was beginning to fill up. People were getting rowdier. The music was getting louder. As if on cue, the sun broke through the clouds.

“Pete, Pete, Pete, Pete, what up? What up?” screamed a girl in an aqua Lilly Pulitzer shift, stumbling as she ran across the lawn to embrace her friend.

This would not be the last time that I heard hip hop-inflected language at the Hunt Cup. In fact, as I walked up and down the rows of tailgaters, I noticed that the music bumping out of cars was overwhelmingly hip hop...

As I made my way through the crowd, two girls in nearly identical white sundresses ran up to me. They were both 16 and lithe, with hair that was either dark blonde or light brown. They both wore subtle but immaculate makeup, and delicate chain necklaces, one with a tiny gold circle, the other with a tiny silver heart. Their names were Ziggy and Jenna.

“Are you taking everybody’s picture?” Ziggy asked.

I explained that I was writing a story for a website, and that I was taking pictures and doing interviews.

“It’s a good social scene,” Ziggy said. “In the olden days, boys used to ask girls out on dates. Now we just party.”

Behind me, a boy yelled “I’ll fuck you up, nigga!” He laughed.

“We get to dress up and look nice during the day,” Jenna said.

Someone called to them, and they ran off screaming.

I talked to two boys, both seniors at Loyola Blakefield. One had braces and dimples, and both sported the lacrosse flip, a shaggy hairstyle that is just short enough to evade prep school dress code restrictions. They stood next to a big new pickup truck with an American flag planted firmly in the back. The boy with the dimples made a sideways peace sign for my camera.

“Do you guys read the news?” I asked.

“Sometimes,” the boy with the dimples said.

“Do you know about what’s going on in Baltimore?”

“Yeah, the riot,” he said. “My dad wouldn’t let me go to the O’s game last night because of the riot. He was worried I might be in danger.”

He was referring to Friday night, the night I went to the police station to find no one but the neighbors hanging out and the two police on duty.

“Do you know why the riot is happening?” I asked, not correcting him.

“No,” he shook his head, half paying attention.

“Do you have any thoughts about that?” I asked.

“No,” he said. “Enjoy the race.”

Nearby, a copper Land Rover bumped trap music, the bass on high. The smell of weed wafted through the air. The cops were close enough to smell it, but they kept directing traffic...

I stopped a boy in yellow shorts and a pastel plaid shirt and a girl in a white dress.

“Do you know about the protest?” I asked.

“It’s kind of stupid,” the boy in the yellow shorts said. “I think it’s a racial thing. Just because one African-American man died, they all team up. But we’re all the same.”

I walked by a 30-something man puffing a cigar.

“No diggity, no doubt,” he laughed to his friend.

http://gawker.com/baltimore-is-a-shithole-undisturbed-peace-at-the-mar-1700526944

dont think this quote doesnt apply to us too

bell hooks posted:

as we're having a mounting fascism in the united states that is perpetuated increasingly by a young monied liberal white people, if they are wearing black clothes or listening to black music they can be perceived as transgressive, as radical. once again we see a separation between material aspirations and cultural and social interest. so that at any point in time they can drop their interest in blackness and do whatever they need to do to reinforce the interests of their class, the interests of white supremacy, the interests of capitalism and imperialism

Edited by animedad ()

lmao, baltimore police instigated the riots:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/04/how-baltimore-riots-began-mondawmin-purge

When school let out that afternoon, police were in the area equipped with full riot gear. According to eyewitnesses in the Mondawmin neighborhood, the police were stopping busses and forcing riders, including many students who were trying to get home, to disembark. Cops shut down the local subway stop. They also blockaded roads near the Mondawmin Mall and Frederick Douglass High School, which is across the street from the mall, and essentially corralled young people in the area. That is, they did not allow the after-school crowd to disperse.

[account deactivated]
Turns out another prisoner who was in the police van was coerced into testifying remembered that he heard Gray committing suicide by repeatedly throwing himself into the walls of the van while restrained.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/prisoner-in-van-said-freddie-gray-was-banging-against-the-walls-during-ride/2015/04/29/56d7da10-eec6-11e4-8666-a1d756d0218e_story.html

one problem with getting older is that it gets harder to tell when people are making shit up about kids. like a bunch of kids planning a riot by referencing a two year old movie starring game of thrones mommie issues lady and rookie from training day guy smelled like bullshit but i'm thirty or something, what the fuck do i know about how dumb teenagers talk. fortunately, "fuck the police" never grows old

Aspie_Muslim_Economist_ posted:

Turns out another prisoner who was in the police van was coerced into testifying remembered that he heard Gray committing suicide by repeatedly throwing himself into the walls of the van while restrained.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/prisoner-in-van-said-freddie-gray-was-banging-against-the-walls-during-ride/2015/04/29/56d7da10-eec6-11e4-8666-a1d756d0218e_story.html

,” according to a police document obtained by The Washington Post.

catchphrase

https://www.facebook.com/1410855579135447/videos/1630808017140201/?hc_location=ufi

the other guy in the van speaks out, says 100% the cops are using him to cover their ass
Rumsfeld: Looting is transition to freedom

"The task we've got ahead of us now is an awkward one ... It's untidy. And freedom's untidy. And free people are free to make mistakes and commit crimes and do bad things. They're also free to live their lives and do wonderful things. And that's what's going to happen here," Rumsfeld said.

"And for suddenly the biggest problem in the world to be looting is really notable."

http://www.upi.com/Business_News/Security-Industry/2003/04/11/Rumsfeld-Looting-is-transition-to-freedom/63821050097983/

memories
http://tktk.gawker.com/the-washington-posts-police-problem-1701548936/

The story was gross two days ago, but it’s something even worse now that Baltimore state attorney Marilyn Mosby has charged the six cops involved in Freddie Gray’s death with crimes that include second-degree murder and manslaughter. Which is to say nothing of Donta Allen, the other prisoner in the van that the Post chose not to name, telling a local television station that the report leaked to the Post was distorted by the cops:

Via Baltimore’s CBS affiliate:

He tells WJZ he’s angry about an internal police report published in The Washington Post.

“And they trying to make it seem like I told them that, I made it like Freddie Gray did that to hisself (sic),” Allen said. “Why the would he do that to hisself (sic)?”

Allen was in the van because he allegedly stole a cigarette from a store on North Avenue.

He was never charged. Instead he was brought straight to the station.

“I talked to homicide. I told homicide the same story.” Allen said.

A story he says is being distorted and now he fears being killed.

“I had two options today right, either come and talk to y’all and get my credibility straight with ya’ll and not get killed by these or not tell a true story,” Allen added. “The only reason I’m doing this is because they put my name in a bad state.”

[account deactivated]

Petrol posted:

http://tktk.gawker.com/the-washington-posts-police-problem-1701548936/

The story was gross two days ago, but it’s something even worse now that Baltimore state attorney Marilyn Mosby has charged the six cops involved in Freddie Gray’s death with crimes that include second-degree murder and manslaughter. Which is to say nothing of Donta Allen, the other prisoner in the van that the Post chose not to name, telling a local television station that the report leaked to the Post was distorted by the cops:

Via Baltimore’s CBS affiliate:

He tells WJZ he’s angry about an internal police report published in The Washington Post.

“And they trying to make it seem like I told them that, I made it like Freddie Gray did that to hisself (sic),” Allen said. “Why the would he do that to hisself (sic)?”

Allen was in the van because he allegedly stole a cigarette from a store on North Avenue.

He was never charged. Instead he was brought straight to the station.

“I talked to homicide. I told homicide the same story.” Allen said.

A story he says is being distorted and now he fears being killed.

“I had two options today right, either come and talk to y’all and get my credibility straight with ya’ll and not get killed by these or not tell a true story,” Allen added. “The only reason I’m doing this is because they put my name in a bad state.”

yea leaking that shit was pretty unforgivable. esp since it turns out it's pretty much confirmed freddie grays spine was severed before that guy even got in the vehicle

Edited by ilmdge ()

lmbo https://twitter.com/FOP3/status/169137754393948160
[account deactivated]
That tweet is from 2012 but it's great.

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

lmbo https://twitter.com/FOP3/status/169137754393948160

Where was Black Twitter in Portugal 1502AD

leading defender of civil liberties and accused pedophile/rapist alan dershowitz once again comes out on the right side of history

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/alan-dershowitz-rips-charges-against-baltimore-cops-sad-day-for-justice/

Edited by aerdil ()

man, that fucking guy
[account deactivated]
dershowitz once suggested that punishing sex workers is okay while punishing johns is bad.
what a weird position to take for someone who has been accused of having sex with underage prostitutes
actually if you really think about it those two things actually make PERFET SENSE, u idiot. god.

discipline posted:

alan dershowitz is possibly the scummiest person on earth

i met him once and he was very affable and rhetorically persuasive, true story

you met him and didn't kill him. that's gotta b e a probation or somethin at least
He gave a pretty well calibrated talk. Also I would never kill anybody!

camera_obscura posted:

Also I would never kill anybody!

That's a Ban.

camera_obscura posted:

discipline posted:

alan dershowitz is possibly the scummiest person on earth

i met him once and he was very affable and rhetorically persuasive, true story

Thanks for that. <ade me think.

A video filmed a week ago Tuesday appears to show local police allowing a K9 dog to tear into the face of what looks to be an unarmed black man while he is curled up on the ground. The man, identified as 32-year-old Phillip White, later died while in police custody.

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

A video filmed a week ago Tuesday appears to show local police allowing a K9 dog to tear into the face of what looks to be an unarmed black man while he is curled up on the ground. The man, identified as 32-year-old Phillip White, later died while in police custody.

Scroll up to my post on the subject for footage dumb-a

Edited by swampman ()

"Map: Police have killed at least 1,500 people in the past 16 months"

http://www.vox.com/2015/5/7/8568621/map-police-have-killed-at-least-1500-in-the-past-16-months
[account deactivated]
duuuuh but how many have black people killed, probably
the whole frickin talking point that black lumpenproles are shooting each other and anyone who gets in the way due to welfare or whatever and poor cops are forced to preemptively shoot em to protect them selfs and the public is fucken racist and disgusting but logically airtight and i can never dismantle it during twitterbeeves
that's what happens when you allow someone to build a magical fantasy kingdom where their stupid beliefs are right by fiat.
that's what happens when you allow america
I'm really concerned about the legacy of a cartoonist who peaked with snow white. we forever must maintain his fascist vision in a tourist trap in florida and maintain that it's relevant (I guess?).