http://youtubedoubler.com/eFCo

Edited by le_nelson_mandela_face ()

a good lawyer cou;ld have knocked the charge down to Destruction of Government Property
[account deactivated]
possibly the only justified kill in the history of the marine corps and it goes punished
But prosecutors argued that the defendant fled from police after the shootings and even ordered two Taco Bell burritos after the killings – signs that he knew what he did was wrong and was headed to jail.
Eddie Ray Routh sounds like the name of a frontman for a hair band in 1987 called like Beautiful Daggers which toured with Whitesnake and had one song hit the rock top 40 at #37 for one week called "She's Beastly".
unfortunately for his defence, remorselessly shooting Chris Kyle to death proved that Routh knew right from wrong at the time.
[account deactivated]
you forgot Death to america
i think it works the same way that being the poet laureate of america works, where if you kill the incumbent american sniper, you're named the new american sniper. also like santa clause
[account deactivated]
i saw a news story about how this guy watches seinfeld all the time in his cell and they speculated that he was influenced by an episode where kramer believes he sees a pig-man . chris kyle the pig man.
[account deactivated]
Looks like the prosecutions case was "Yeah that guy was insane, he just wasn't really, really, really insane when he killed those guys." Which sounds really similar to the reasoning people use when they justify Chris Kyle not being institutionalized.
Basically, whole selling point of Chris Kyle was that he was "damaged" and "complex" so he has a justification to be a killing machine. But when a guy is loony toons level crazy he "still knew right from wrong" and should be punished despite his mental illness. But in Kyle's context he's damaged, tragic guy who we can't be too judgemental about for being a killing machine.
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i have some vague stirring of a thought about this but i'm drunk and also really sick so here it is: uh, i don't know why this guy actually killed the american sniper, and it doesn't matter, because intent doesn't matter, only the material outcomes of one's actions. i know a lot will be made about whatever reasons he had for gunning chris kyle down but the end result is the same, that he put down a murderer and the only tragedy here is that he didn't get to him ten years prior.

Of course intent matters, how are we supposed to order society and administer justice if we can't consider the intentions of our subjects?

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

hey it's skylark

hello friend

can't mouth the Routh

aerdil posted:

that restaurant is built like a steakhouse but handles like a bistro

10 bucks that guy was a POG
it's red robin though you have to take out a second mortgage to pay your tab there
I'm going to do that on the customer copy and give a real tip on the merchant copy and go epically viral
Fascist American Troop: My tip is the freedom I provided you while serving my country. You're welcome for my service.

Rhizzone Revolutionary: my tip is the service i provided you while freeing my country. you're welcome for my vanguard. read puig.
[account deactivated]
lawyers are professional liberals, everything about the way we think is beyond credibility

tpaine posted:

it's always incredible to me that anyone thinks intent can be proven or is even relevant legally

i hope it's obvious there should be a difference between manslaughter and murder? not really relevant in the case of eddie ray routh though, even if he didn't mean to kill chris kyle he still deserves a medal.

[account deactivated]
Tonight: legal theory with tpaine
[account deactivated]
No, but even if you were right it's not like you could brush them off, the institutions and field you're criticizing are huge and here to stay in some shape or form
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

intent still doesn't matter, because wreckless enough manslaughter is indistinguishable from murder regardless of whether or not deep down someone wanted to kill

It's spelled "reckless," Professor Harvard.

isnt it the case that "legal" intent is more of a concrete outward thing than what tpaine's talking about, which might be better described as motive or something like that

yeah such as running over a random person because you weren't paying attention to the stoplight vs. hunting down your ex and accelerating as they cross the street
[account deactivated]
it's not my intent to drink until i get quintuple vision, but yet...

tpaine posted:

never mind you guys