babyfinland posted:

there are some truly bad people on this forum and the environment is about as toxic as you can get but some people i like and want to keep in contact but they refuse to go to twitter.com and enjoy my brand there so here i be

You should definitely stop posting.

call me naive but i have a hard time believing isis are the first militant islamic group to release edited beheading videos, because that's some pussy-ass drake-level bullshit
i don't really care if this guy was beheaded or not but please don't insult drake. he's like the toughest canadian and we're all embarrassed when you insult him.

deadken posted:

here's an idea. the idiot brit jihad tourist guy they got to do the execution totally fucked it up and spent about 15 mins feebly trying to hack through cartilage with his tiny knife and generally looking like a total amateur, so isis cut out that part of the footage and cut to the body while they told joe al-bloggs to stop wasting hostages

in marine corps recurit training there's a room with mannequin heads attached to poles which swivel with a latch on them. you have to twist the heads with enough force to defeat the latch, which presumably is the force necessary to snap someone's neck and kill them

getfiscal posted:

i don't really care if this guy was beheaded or not but please don't insult drake. he's like the toughest canadian and we're all embarrassed when you insult him.

started from the bottom is a reference to riding the elevator up to the penthouse apartment in the toronto high rise he lived in with his mum

[account deactivated]
lol, as comrade daddyholes already said.... http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/23/us-air-strikes-isis-commanders-syria-considered

US officials said that there was now a "new context" for confronting Isis – and cutting off its supply routes – following the beheading of US journalist James Foley. In a sign that Washington may widen the field of its air strikes, the White House said it was ready to "take action" against any threat to America in Iraq or Syria. US military officials confirmed on Saturday night it had carried out an air strike against Isis near the Mosul Dam to support Iraqi and Kurdish operations.

blinkandwheeze posted:

are there any posts anyone wants frontpaged i havent really been reading the forum lately

I saw a post that should be frontpaged but I forgot what it was. Hope this helps.

daddyholes posted:

WHO WAS THE PEOPLE ON HERE SAYING THIS INVADE SYRIA SHIT WANST REAL. WHO WAS IT. WHERE ARE YOU. RRRMMM M COME ON HEJRE YOU BROWN MOSES DUCKFUCKERS. SCUTTLE ON OUT

We "invaded" to fight the rebels lol.

typing in all caps doesn't make your bad argument somehow good. user loses posting privileges for 3 days. getfiscal getfiscal

daddyholes posted:

NoFreeWill posted:

yeah it's totally an INVASION when we send 10 guys in to fail to rescue 3 hostages.

an act or instance of invading or entering as an enemy, especially by an army.

how did you manage to post the stupid dictionary definition of something and still post something that proves you wrong in any conceivable circumstance? that is some high level voodoo shit right there, i have no idea how you accomplished that.

we invaded syria. we already did it. is it war now? is it war?

Yeah the US arguably is at war with ISIS, if not because of the commando raid then because of uhh the massive bombing campaign. Of course that's not the same as being at war with Syria like you're trying to say and if anything it undermines that whole narrative.

We may be at war, and our targets may include Syrian civilian infrastructure and Syrian civilians within Syrian borders, but that does NOT mean we are at war with Syria, we are just fighting in Syria to change Syria, it may be a full scale military action from air, land, and sea, against the best armed military that claims the majority of Syrian territory, so to have a more pro western regime control syria, but don't you dare call it a war because, not a war.

swampman posted:

We may be at war, and our targets may include Syrian civilian infrastructure and Syrian civilians within Syrian borders, but that does NOT mean we are at war with Syria, we are just fighting in Syria to change Syria, it may be a full scale military action from air, land, and sea, against the best armed military that claims the majority of Syrian territory, so to have a more pro western regime control syria, but don't you dare call it a war because, not a war.

None of this is actually happening though.

Lessons posted:

swampman posted:

None of this is actually happening though.

lol

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/22/world/middleeast/isis-believed-to-have-as-many-as-17000-fighters.html?_r=1

John R. Allen, the retired Marine Corps general who led American and allied forces in Afghanistan, said the United States needed to build up the capacity of indigenous forces in the region to take on ISIS, but he stressed that there was also an important role for American air power.

As proved during the initial American military mission to rout Al Qaeda and the Taliban from Afghanistan after the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, American airstrikes would be more effective if small teams of Special Operations forces were deployed to identify ISIS targets and call in attacks.

Deploying such teams is believed to be one option the Pentagon is considering. Another step that some experts say will be needed to challenge the militant groups is a stepped-up program to train, advise and equip the moderate opposition in Syria as well as Kurdish and government forces in Iraq.

*bombs Syrian Army convoy* We're getting ISIS *surgically strikes civilian infrastructure* Getting them isis boys *sends in special forces to take out police station* These isis fuckers.. there everywhere..

Airstrikes in Syria would also draw the White House more deeply into a conflict from which it has sought to maintain some distance. But there is also risk in not acting, because it is very difficult to defeat a militant group that is allowed to maintain a sanctuary.

O dam that would suck huh. Shit oh well.

*US aids Syrian rebels* This is war against Syria. *US bombs Syrian rebels* This is war against Syria. *bombings are actually happening in Iraq, not Syria* This is war against Syria. *Alex eats egg salad sandwich for breakfast* This is war against Syria.

tpaine posted:

LOVE the drake!!

Lessons posted:

daddyholes posted:

WHO WAS THE PEOPLE ON HERE SAYING THIS INVADE SYRIA SHIT WANST REAL. WHO WAS IT. WHERE ARE YOU. RRRMMM M COME ON HEJRE YOU BROWN MOSES DUCKFUCKERS. SCUTTLE ON OUT

wait who's 'We' again

Crow posted:

Lessons posted:

daddyholes posted:

wait who's 'We' again

I was quoting daddyholes duder.

So do you have any evidence that the US state did a total 180 due to the release of one video and is now solely attacking the same people that they armed and funded to overthrow Syria? Or are you just going to take them at their own word?

The explanation for the US launching incursions into Syria to "fight its own rebels" is simply a pretext for an operation in Syria with an eye towards elementary mission creep. What is your convoluted explanation for NATO to otherwise act schizophrenically and without any sort of strategic vision?

Edited by Crow ()

Crow posted:

So do you have any evidence that the US state did a total 180 due to the release of one video and is now solely attacking the same people that they armed and funded to overthrow Syria? Or are you just going to take them at their own word?

The explanation for the US launching incursions into Syria to "fight its own rebels" is simply a pretext for an operation in Syria with an eye towards elementary mission creep. What is your convoluted explanation for NATO to otherwise act schizophrenically and without any sort of strategic vision?

I'm suggesting that US support for the ISIS was never as great as you assumed, as evidenced not only by the fact they're fighting them now but also that they spent 8 years fighting them back when they were al Qaeda in Iraq. There was never a 180 but rather US (violent) opposition to ISIS has been more or less consistent since its inception, with the only gap being between the US withdrawal from Iraq in Dec 2011 to now. Incidentally I'd also suggest that US support for the rest of the rebels hasn't been as great as you assumed either considering despite the supposed mountains of cash and flood of arms the US has been giving them they've not only failed to overthrown the government but actually been pushed back on all fronts, while ISIS, without US support, more or less just rolled up and achieved more in a few months than they have in years. Decisive US support for the rebels probably could have ended the civil war long ago.

And yes, obviously the US is only striking ISIS targets in Iraq rather than Syrian because there aren't any Syrian targets to strike in Iraq. I don't want to speculate what might happen in a hypothetical US campaign in Syria because it's, well, hypothetical, and speculative. There doesn't seem to be any mission creep from the Foley operation so far.

In any case I am completely opposed to the current US military intervention in Iraq as well as any potential expansion of that intervention, whether it's into Syria or merely intensifying its operations in Iraq. I'm concerned about the war propaganda that's being deployed here, not just in the case of Foley but also the Yazidis, Mosul Dam, etc., which unfortunately seems to be working in this case as opposed to the response to the aborted strikes following Ghouta which were met with widespread skepticism and outright hostility by the US public. It's quite likely the US is going to escalate here and they'll be entering with a buffer of public support they haven't had since 2003. Urgent action by anti-imperialists is necessary to educate the public about the realities of American imperialism even in cases like this, to concretely oppose the US's efforts, and to analyze the situation as it develops to determine the best way to accomplish these goals. At the moment I don't agree with your strategy here because I expect "US supports ISIS, this is just a ploy to attack Syria" is more likely to confuse and alienate potential allies than it is to rally them, and I also think it happens to be untrue. That's really all I have to say about it because we've basically already been over all of this before and the convo just tended to devolve into divisive mud-slinging rather than constructive criticism and self-criticism, let alone consensus.

[account deactivated]
if you kill an americ an in a bad way, we ome after u. sorry terrorists, your game is through. america, fuk yeah
[account deactivated]
a common US line is to blame Assad's regime (and sometimes Iran) for the ISIS with some even suggesting he intentionally backs them. with that in mind it may very well be the case that an intervention "against" the ISIS could be a pretext for an intervention against Assad.

Edited by HenryKrinkle ()

hi guys i just wanted to apologize for my outburst yesterday. i know that all the business i was talking where the Washington Institute for Near East Policy (conspiracy lol) was shaping the anti-ISIS struggle into an effort to overthrow Assad was kind of crazy and out of line. it's just some think tank somewhere and i doubt it'll have any impact on the positions of the people who might fight ISIS.

really, I don't think even the American media would be fooled by that one. anyway it turns out i was having an "episode", a mental health thing, last night, and i actually ended up getting discovered far, far away from my home by helpful people, and i'm in a clinic right now in a wheelchair, sad to say, waiting for--ernkk--nnn--guaa...---what's that...

wh--

--hrnkk--

--wh-what's that--

--noise...

nnngg--rrhh--

mmmhh...unnnh--wh-whaa...

...mmmhh--h-how far...I...must be under the United Kingdom...now...

now...now I know...the Planet...it's...

-YCN-a0NsNk
[account deactivated]
since the "whole narrative" was "undermined" thug lessons here's the updated one for you

Lessons posted:

*US aids Syrian rebels* This is war against Syria. *US bombs Syrian rebels* This is war against Syria. *bombings are actually happening in Iraq, not Syria* This is war against Syria. *Alex eats egg salad sandwich for breakfast* This is war against Syria.

this but unironically, unironically

i feel like you guys haven't figured this all out yet. put in some time and get back to me then i'll vote however you want me to vote next time.
you can tell the distinction is a reasonable one, and those not biased against Obama understand the difference between a war on Syria and the crusade to save countless moderate rebel lives from the bloodthirsty savages of ISIS, because because no liberal blog will even discuss the topic and instead they are doing wall to wall Ferguson coverage all day long on eric holder's blue-ribbon panel. lol.

well you know what liberals say, "the Wall Street Journal editorial board is evil, but their news reporting is great..."

Crow posted:

What is your convoluted explanation for NATO to otherwise act schizophrenically and without any sort of strategic vision?

we should use the whole ISIS crisis as an excuse to invade Syria and depose Al-Assad, imo.

conec posted:

frontpage

ok correct me if i'm wrong here but i thought common us government practice when they want to overthrow a government is to arm and fund the opposition and run propaganda for them. not to, uh *flicks through notebook* arm and fund the opposition, run propaganda for them, but also arm and fund a completely different opposition group that spends most of its time fighting their original proxies but also behaves like a gang of literal movie villains, committing massacres against religious minorities and captured soldiers and so on, and also seriously threatening the sovereignty and stability of a nearby us client state, then fake a video of that group executing a us citizen, prompting a massive us intervention against its own proxy, and then use the media to draw tenuous connections between that opposition group and the enemy government *writing in notebook devolves into illegible scribbles* allowing them to attack the government in question under cover of attacking the opposition group that they themselves created. because that would be fucking insane

conec posted:

daddyholes can I be on ur team~? o . O

sure, let's do this.

i've heard of public sector inefficiency but this is just ridiculous !!
deadken why wouldn't it be in the U.S.'s interests to fund everyone and destabilize oil production in the middle east, with the shift in imperial policy trailing the shift in energy policy, which in turn trailed the shift in the oil markets six years ago? U.S. domestic crude production has been rising since 2008, so quickly that people are talking about actually lifting the bans on exports, and natural gas development is still rapidly increasing in the united states. meanwhile china's oil fields are lagging and it is trying to lock down remaining sources all over the world and russia has a vested interest in weakening our side of that conflict... it seems like our constant wars in the middle east might have something to do with the oil market idk?

Foley murder video 'may have been staged'

Analysts believe the British jihadi in the video may not have been James Foley's killer, although it is accepted that the journalist was murdered

The video of James Foley’s execution may have been staged, with the actual murder taking place off-camera, it has emerged.

Forensic analysis of the footage of the journalist’s death has suggested that the British jihadist in the film may have been the frontman rather than the killer.

The clip, which apparently depicts Mr Foley’s brutal beheading, has been widely seen as a propaganda coup for Islamic State miltant group.

But a study of the four-minute 40-second clip, carried out by an international forensic science company which has worked for police forces across Britain, suggested camera trickery and slick post-production techniques appear to have been used.

A forensic analyst told The Times that no blood can be seen, even though the knife is drawn across the neck area at least six times.

“After enhancements, the knife can be seen to be drawn across the upper neck at least six times, with no blood evidence to the point the picture fades to black,” the analysis said.

Sounds allegedly made by Foley do not appear consistent with what may be expected.

During Foley’s speech, there appears to be a blip which could indicate the journalist had to repeat a line.

One expert commissioned to examine the footage was reported as saying: “I think it has been staged. My feeling is that the execution may have happened after the camera was stopped.”

However the company, which requested anonymity, did not reach a definitive answer.

It concluded: “No one is disputing that at some point an execution occurred.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/bill-gardner/11054488/Foley-murder-video-may-have-been-staged.html