i didn't join an org yet and i don't really go to union meetings but our TA union here in California just won a new contract with a bunch of sjw demands (gender neutral bathrooms, undocumented worker stuff, breast feeding stations) a "say" in class sizes, and also raises of 300$ for childcare and 8% of our 12/16% ask on wages. i struck and we shut down campus and also were threatening to strike during finals (aka shutting grading down for the whole UC system) which got us what we wanted (mostly). i thought we should strike for a week or something and we finally did propose a real-ass strike and it got things accomplished.

we struck back in the fall as our contract was running out for a day and blocked campus, which led to our second strike this spring...

2nd strike my friend got arrested, our leader got arrested in the crosswalk and they ahve a court date... we were striking over unfair labor practices (threatening int. students at UCLA with deportation, saying writing ppl wouldn't get ta jobs again if they struck, etc.) which was cool.

i feel pretty good because i helped get it done even tho im graduating next week so i don't get any of the benefits (my brother and friends in PhD do tho )

students generally hate that we shut down campus and professors hated us for threatening to shut down grading, but there are a strong anarchist contingent here in Santa Cruz especially so the undergrads actually were the ones shutting down the entrance (illegal for us to do so) when it wasn't the cops doing it.

if you have any questions let me know...
we did a huge snake through campus to avoid the riot police when we couldn't decide whether to stay and block the entrance (some ppl stayed and they left too to go to the other entrance) and I banged on a pot all day.
Gj. Fuck students.
glad you poor working class academics got a nice raise on the backs of the taxpayers & students.
students are awful. in general. I am really tired of being a student and most of the students I meet who are actual students and not borderline dropouts, are career oriented or dense or completely out to lunch.
I am _not_ at all some workin class kid who doesnt understand all these gol-durn intellectuals and their high falutin ways or whatever, I think I'm a 3rd generation college graduate (not sure if my grandma went to college... know my grandpa did) and my parents paid my way and I have no debt and a marketable degree (*shouts of 'that 2.76 gpa tho' echo in distance*). but the college environment, sleeping in, coasting around on longboards, drinking, studying business, learning exclusively because you have been assigned 'reading,' being 'independent' because your room and board is paid for, the transitory nature of the whole experience, the faux-bohemian phase being part of the ordinary 'metabolism' of careerist life, the discourse obsession in all potentially-cool departments (like history), all of it, it seems like students even at a state college are like, the worst possible audience for any sort of self-sacrificing or marginally aware ideology, such as unionism.

the student group that meets at the community college here is small and most of the people in it aren't in classes. and the college wants them gone and is trying to get them to leave and I'm almost like, why the fuck don't we. who wants us here. the administration obviously dislikes us and idgaf about that but most students seem totally uninterested as well. there's a certain point where you just meet at someone's house, and get off campus, imo. or maybe it's dare to struggle dare to win. not sure.
[account deactivated]
Pedophilia? You'd better believe that's a ban
[account deactivated]

stegosaurus posted:

I am _not_ at all some workin class kid who doesnt understand all these gol-durn intellectuals and their high falutin ways or whatever, I think I'm a 3rd generation college graduate (not sure if my grandma went to college... know my grandpa did) and my parents paid my way and I have no debt and a marketable degree (*shouts of 'that 2.76 gpa tho' echo in distance*). but the college environment, sleeping in, coasting around on longboards, drinking, studying business, learning exclusively because you have been assigned 'reading,' being 'independent' because your room and board is paid for, the transitory nature of the whole experience, the faux-bohemian phase being part of the ordinary 'metabolism' of careerist life, the discourse obsession in all potentially-cool departments (like history), all of it, it seems like students even at a state college are like, the worst possible audience for any sort of self-sacrificing or marginally aware ideology, such as unionism.

the student group that meets at the community college here is small and most of the people in it aren't in classes. and the college wants them gone and is trying to get them to leave and I'm almost like, why the fuck don't we. who wants us here. the administration obviously dislikes us and idgaf about that but most students seem totally uninterested as well. there's a certain point where you just meet at someone's house, and get off campus, imo. or maybe it's dare to struggle dare to win. not sure.

yeah no doubt the academic superstructure is naturally complicit with capitalisms worst excesses

TAs always get the shit end of the stic but at the same time how can i really feel soliderity for a group pursuing a perpetual childhood while being coddled by elitist interests

yeah academia is pretty shit mate. thats why im leaving it even tho i could get a job easy
we have sponsored classes at our public school. ebay bought one last year to make software for their digital kiosks, microsoft regularly has one, etc.
also the last of the tenured faculty don't give a fuck that the whole educational structure is rotting under them.
i like studying though. i love libraries and journals and shit. and sitting quietly and reading and making notes. and it seems like in academia, they sort of pay you and and you get to do that if you also do other shit like teach or publish bs. which seems like a relatively small price to pay. in conclusion academia is a land of contrasts.
research is also a major component of many other jobs but a university is a fun place where you dont really need to work scheduled hours and can also pretend to be really important and have important opinions even if theyre dumb because of institutionality (not sure if thats a word or i just made that up)
i miss college but i never got to study anything serious gotta pay the big bux for an out of state heterodox school
that ninja is pinku
i don't like publishing papers tho (id rather conduct workshops) and both my parents are teachers so i can't be one.

conec posted:

STFU i`m not aroused by beel from beelzebub i find him kawaii it`s an anime baby n his dingy is showing big deal ~!~!

Im aroused by this sexy feminist baby

babyfinland posted:

conec posted:

STFU i`m not aroused by beel from beelzebub i find him kawaii it`s an anime baby n his dingy is showing big deal ~!~!

Im aroused by this sexy feminist baby

Yeah we all remember two months ago

Academia is the worst, tear the schools down, GED is proof that you don't like to waste time

Lykourgos posted:

Academia is the worst, tear the schools down, GED is proof that you don't like to waste time

this but unironically

I wasnt being ironic. I have a GED.
don't you have to go to law school to be a prosecutor? still thats impressive
[account deactivated]
You need to be a lawyer to be a criminal prosecutor, and generally that means going to law school, yes.

GED is fantastic, which is something very strange for American academia. I actually read somewhere that they randomly give American high school students the GED test, and a majority of those tested fail it, which is very amusing. Somebody go look that article/statistic up and prove me right.

Law school is as awful as America lib arts undergrad programmes.
I think my ideal job would be working at some sort of state economists office preparing Marxist reports on the state of the economy that are never read but because they're never read I get to keep my job and instead I pass the reports on to my bros.

stegosaurus posted:

I think my ideal job would be working at some sort of state economists office preparing Marxist reports on the state of the economy that are never read but because they're never read I get to keep my job and instead I pass the reports on to my bros.

that sounds chill

my US government teacher in high school told us he was a marxist and that kinda popped my cherry and so ive never had any ambitions beyond being a high school government teacher that openly tells his students hes a marxist

this is his home page (ie 8 compatibility owns) http://kropfpolisci.com/
high school was a cool and chill time for hanigin out with friends and drinking many beers e: i probably would have gotten a GED anyways thoguh if like the existence of such a thing wasn't kept so secret from teh canadian youth
[account deactivated]
i like these stories they're makin me nostalgic too bad you cant turn back the clock mhL36vP_lv4
The GED is a joke are you're a moron
Here's what GED training is: crash course to take a test. Basically everything that's wrong with American education. If we could actually teach students everything they need to know in a 6 week course we would be doing it already
they have you take econ/gov't in one semester senior year where i live, so i would've missed out on my keynesian economics lessons and my trot trainings if i got my GED; i guess high school was worth the time

e: i also had a socialest history teacher in junior year but i argued with her the whole time, i remember arguing in favor of invading iraq - still have nightmares about it

Lessons posted:

Here's what GED training is: crash course to take a test. Basically everything that's wrong with American education. If we could actually teach students everything they need to know in a 6 week course we would be doing it already

You can't teach students everything they need to know in a 6 week course, so instead you make them piss away 6 years and fail anyway. Great job America

conec posted:

marching band

oh that's why we get along

[account deactivated]
bassoon lmao.

i got my flute the other day btw. i can read notes now. i am playing the head to giant steps over and over. the first seven or so notes anyway
i was house sitting this weekend and practiced for maybe an hour and the cat in the house i was watching got up and left the room when i started playing and gave me this look. your loss dude. I've been hitting e flat for a solid seven minutes already. pretend like you dont want this.