we all want a little action, a little participation, a little mixing. i come here and look around - what do i see, it's dead, it's a few lackadaisical guys lying around on filthy steps & curbs, saying a few words here and there. what do i want to see? a thriving marketplace, thieves pickpocketing tourists, thugs robbing shopkeeps, fights breaking out in the square. i need a spectacle, give me an execution, and put that on the front page. how about a burning, a flaying, a public beating . . . at least give me some sheep that i may castigate. how can a place like this even begin to compete with facebook: why, just today i had a flame war over the american holodomor with a bunch of people from ohio: now that's action!

be the change you want to see? i don't think so. why aren't there posts? there needs to be loudmouths; barring that there needs to be a purpose. why does goons with spoons exist? we can talk about bacon..

let's talk about kafka . . . by now most of us are terminal posters. we post without thinking; it's become habit. when at the age of 29 kafka lost his taste for writing, he still wrote, he wrote every night for the rest of his life, and in the post-writer period he performed his best writing. since he didn't consider himself a writer, he dared not show his work to anybody: could this prove that the potential for a post to show on the front page is what prevents our milieu from forming? most of us have long ago lost any taste for posting; i post purely out of habit, and purely on facebook and wddp. i do not wish to post, but i post anyway, and i would not want anybody to see these posts

reddit . . . do you know, at this very moment, there are millions of people on reddit, steadily up and down-voting posts, creating a front page, a "front page of the internet," if you will. the front page process is completely automated: miraculous technology, true democratic posting processes . . . is it reddit's fault that the internet's aesthetic is disgusting?

i wish to draw on your powers, posters of rhizzone; but there is no milieu into which i can throw myself. oftentimes a milieu can be so vibrant it intimidates a stranger - the lack of a milieu is a thousand times more frightening.

who will break this ghastly silence?
DasReich
i've been posting a lot. mostly navel-gazing about my condition but i feel i've made advances towards truth. if you re-read posts of mine a year ago it is all the same stuff except with small innovations based on weeding out some obvious errors. it's true it is mostly habit for me. i've ditched facebook and most internet stufff except this and twitter, but i spend a lot of time online still just sifting through political news that i'm ambivalent about.
You're going to regret this.
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
you're the epitome of This Internet Generation... you want the fruits of a process that sometimes takes years, if not at least months! you don't want to build it, you want to kick up your feet on the table and just enjoy what others built for you.

your post won't be on the front page unless you check the lil box saying it can when you edit the post. that's no reason to keep you from posting. your problem is that you expect something out of posting here... bar fights, crucifixions, whatever... but you are posting among seasoned warriors and the everyman who knows their names is too afraid to show up and post anything but 100 goatses or a bunch of cursing in the fashion of 2005 FYAD or even 2009 BABY FINLAND... played, my friend. played and it doesn't look nearly as good on you as it does on them. we're open to conflict, there are just no takers. why post where you're intimidated when you can flaunt your liberal attitudes relatively unchallenged in "safe spaces"? I posted an article elsewhere and can guarantee you 100 people disagreed with it vehemently by virtue of who wrote it, but they won't come here to say so. where's your fanclub, impper? do they not want to follow you here? do they just enjoy you in the cage they created for you, by means of the posts that most entertain the masses? decide to build a better future!

discipline posted:
you're the epitome of This Internet Generation... you want the fruits of a process that sometimes takes years, if not at least months! you don't want to build it, you want to kick up your feet on the table and just enjoy what others built for you.

your post won't be on the front page unless you check the lil box saying it can when you edit the post. that's no reason to keep you from posting. your problem is that you expect something out of posting here... bar fights, crucifixions, whatever... but you are posting among seasoned warriors and the everyman who knows their names is too afraid to show up and post anything but 100 goatses or a bunch of cursing in the fashion of 2005 FYAD or even 2009 BABY FINLAND... played, my friend. played and it doesn't look nearly as good on you as it does on them. we're open to conflict, there are just no takers. why post where you're intimidated when you can flaunt your liberal attitudes relatively unchallenged in "safe spaces"? I posted an article elsewhere and can guarantee you 100 people disagreed with it vehemently by virtue of who wrote it, but they won't come here to say so. where's your fanclub, impper? do they not want to follow you here? do they just enjoy you in the cage they created for you, by means of the posts that most entertain the masses? decide to build a better future!

my god...

discipline posted:

The Post-Ownage Era

the fact that lacans discourse of the analyst and that of the pervert are identical is obvious, but what almost no one has been willing to draw from it is the exact problem.

i hate impper ever since lf days, he ruins everything.

what is your response to terrorism? what is my response when my friend, who plays in a jazz band, invited to perform at an event attached to isreali government in israel, says that, after deliberating amongst themselves after having been informed of the boycott moevemt, decide to play anyway but to promise the money they earn towards a charity that "helps not the israelis or the palastinians, but everyone; for peace."?

talk to a young man about rape. tell him it's endemic, that it is not joke fodder at all but something to be seriously reckoned with - something that challenges not just "the system," but his deepest held beliefs, his very identity.

talk to him about love. he knows heartbreak. he might not hate women too much at all, but he might just be too sad to hate anyone, not until he realizes there aren't any answers.

What he doesn';t know is that he was in love, that love is really really, and that he was in it. what he can't see is that the ruthlessness, the completely unreasonable insistence of love is him, and he is it.

he can't see the lesson what 9/11 can show him - he cannot possibly ever be convinced that, instead of turning against all women en masse, as his mates somehow all have already agreed to do, that he can love just one - her... even when she is gone.

is there some connection between, on the one hand, massive terrorist atrocities like 9/11 and violence against women; and, on the other, unconditional fidelity to a cause and love?

yes

Edited by sosie ()

discipline posted:

exactly! ridiculous to expect a scum like me to build something, or indeed even a scum like you; i demand participation, i seek destruction - even if it's my own. as of now, there is no marketplace in which to embarrass myself, only a gathering of hermits

your post won't be on the front page unless you check the lil box saying it can when you edit the post. that's no reason to keep you from posting.

isn't this the exact problem with the website? either everything is fodder for the front page or nothing is. why should i be able to choose to participate? were we not after a violent, spontaneous discourse to present to the masses? how could this be possible if only volunteers have their chance to play "the game?" i propose that any post and any thread is viable to be presented to the front page - at least hold ourselves to the standard of reddit!

your problem is that you expect something out of posting here... bar fights, crucifixions, whatever... but you are posting among seasoned warriors and the everyman who knows their names is too afraid to show up and post anything but 100 goatses or a bunch of cursing in the fashion of 2005 FYAD or even 2009 BABY FINLAND... played, my friend. played and it doesn't look nearly as good on you as it does on them. we're open to conflict, there are just no takers. why post where you're intimidated when you can flaunt your liberal attitudes relatively unchallenged in "safe spaces"? I posted an article elsewhere and can guarantee you 100 people disagreed with it vehemently by virtue of who wrote it, but they won't come here to say so. where's your fanclub, impper? do they not want to follow you here? do they just enjoy you in the cage they created for you, by means of the posts that most entertain the masses?

my fanclub? if only it were true. my only fans are tortoises and toads, who would love nothing more than to see my final humiliation.

decide to build a better future!

"I refuse"

Who is kafka and why would we want to talk about him. When I read that name I just think ”no, thank you.”
you probably wouldnt like him. but you still havent read nietzsche have you?

Impper posted:

Correct, but I do have the honest intent to read nietzsche. I'm sure I'll read something of his by the end of the year, it's just that each time I sit down to read, I always have something else I need to read/re-read first.

Lykourgos posted:

Impper posted:

Correct, but I do have the honest intent to read nietzsche. I'm sure I'll read something of his by the end of the year, it's just that each time I sit down to read, I always have something else I need to read/re-read first.

well he's really fun and easy to read and i support anyone who wants to talk about nietzsche so get with the program.

nietzsche owns. the last chapter of zarathustra is beautiful when the pigeons surround him and blot out his vision and he weeps tears of joy

Lykourgos posted:

Genealogy of Morals is like 200 pages, and clear/easy enough to digest in a couple hours. Take a window of idle time to sit and read it at a library or Barnes & Noble and it'll just fly by.

we should call LF a startup, get some seed money and use that to change the world
we need some seed posters...

Impper posted:
we need some seed posters...

we've actually been steadily increasing, every single day, with both the number of new posts and the number of unique visitors to the site.

also, i've been working on a project the last week that will hopefully draw a lot more people here. that's taken away some of my time from posting but i'm hoping it will be worth it...

i heartily look forward to your project!
make some graphs. i fyou cant measure it you cant improve it

domn posted:
make some graphs. i fyou cant measure it you cant improve it

we have awstats installed dummy.

ok here's stats for September:

day/unique visitors/pages loaded/total hits (e.g. total files requested from teh server, including images)/bandwidth used

01 Sep 2011 245 4,309 16,207 92.82 MB
02 Sep 2011 205 3,974 22,332 77.06 MB
03 Sep 2011 212 3,423 23,595 71.02 MB
04 Sep 2011 268 4,041 22,421 79.08 MB
05 Sep 2011 369 5,020 24,506 119.26 MB
06 Sep 2011 461 4,084 17,693 122.14 MB
07 Sep 2011 163 2,391 9,693 55.18 MB

Sep 7th is only for today up to 2pm EST, and our peak-hours seem to be around 6pm-9pm EST.
those stats are pretty cool, give me a lot of confidence

Lykourgos posted:
Who is kafka and why would we want to talk about him. When I read that name I just think ”no, thank you.”

I will not open the door for a mind that is not already striving to understand, nor will I provide words to a tongue that is not already struggling to speak. If I hold up one corner of a problem, and the student cannot come back to me with the other three, I will not attempt to instruct him again.

Impper posted:
nietzsche owns. the last chapter of zarathustra is beautiful when the pigeons surround him and blot out his vision and he weeps tears of joy

Unfortunately, Zarathustra was an incomplete work. Two more parts were intended but never finished due to brain-crazies.

lungfish posted:
Impper posted:

Unfortunately, Zarathustra was an incomplete work. Two more parts were intended but never finished due to brain-crazies.

doesnt matter

yes it does, just imagine how extra incredible firefly would have been if it was finished
wats with enlightenment jerks rummaging around their nether holes and publishing their findings as incomplete thoughts and people finding them interesting

babyfinland posted:
wats with enlightenment jerks rummaging around their nether holes and publishing their findings as incomplete thoughts and people finding them interesting

nietzsche did some very valuable work, even if alot of it is just belly aching about individualism or whatever

Tsargon posted:

babyfinland posted:

nietzsche did some very valuable work, even if alot of it is just belly aching about individualism or whatever

ya hes cool i guess

since when is nietzsche an enlightenment jerkhole
I don't really interpret Nietzsche as an opponent of individualism. He encourages you to revalue everything yourself and live your own life. He glorifies hermitic retreats and solitude. He legally withdrew his citizenship and was stateless his entire adult life. He criticized virtually every institution in society.

He was a bit of a misanthrope.

lungfish posted:
Impper posted:

Wow well better not read it then

lungfish posted:
I don't really interpret Nietzsche as an opponent of individualism. He encourages you to revalue everything yourself and live your own life. He glorifies hermitic retreats and solitude. He legally withdrew his citizenship and was stateless his entire adult life. He criticized virtually every institution in society.

He was a bit of a misanthrope.

i meant in the sense that he was bellyachin about it dyin out or whatever. great big crowds demanding security and bread from zarathustra, zarathustra retreating to the caves with the kings and urging them to fulfill their appetites, crying over the rope dancer, etc. etc.

thus spake zarathustra depicts philosophical growth. zarathustra doesnt emerge in the beginning having figured everything out. within the narrative he often goes to a place for years at a time to contemplate & live before reaching a new insight. many times he refutes/denies things he said earlier in the book when he was more immature. the point of tsz is the eternal return, which zarathustra only understands late in the book, and which is the most gloriously self-affirming philosophical concept imo. greet the permanence of your life with joy, and understand all the misery you experience makes the joy meaningful by contrast. a life with a single moment of happiness is a life beyond regret.

swampman posted:
thus spake zarathustra depicts philosophical growth. zarathustra doesnt emerge in the beginning having figured everything out. within the narrative he often goes to a place for years at a time to contemplate & live before reaching a new insight. many times he refutes/denies things he said earlier in the book when he was more immature. the point of tsz is the eternal return, which zarathustra only understands late in the book, and which is the most gloriously self-affirming philosophical concept imo. greet the permanence of your life with joy, and understand all the misery you experience makes the joy meaningful by contrast. a life with a single moment of happiness is a life beyond regret.

Tsargon posted:
i meant in the sense that he was bellyachin about it dyin out or whatever. great big crowds demanding security and bread from zarathustra, zarathustra retreating to the caves with the kings and urging them to fulfill their appetites, crying over the rope dancer, etc. etc.

yea the last part of the book def. had some bodhisattva vow/leon trotsky vibe going on

[account deactivated]
i'm not gonna join lol