re that newsweek article crow posted: it's interesting but i think its biggest flaw (even beyond the whole 'you don't do this in a democracy' nonsense) is that it ascribes agency to the west and not to russia. putin had no choice but to react to nato expansionism, but it's not as if capital could have ever not expanded itself; neoliberalism constantly needs to seek out new spaces, new borderlands to restructure and immiserate or its contradictions will tear it apart, its force is blind and all-consuming. as american imperialism is nothing more than the armed guarantor of capitalist relations it's senseless to ask it to behave morally. we are not fighting policies but a monster, a mad ravenous brute that needs to be put down, and putin wields the flaming sword that can defeat it
there's not going to be a war lol this sucks

deadken posted:

countries are getting too broke to bomb each other

ukraine isnt real and theres no such thing as a ukrainian, its all russians and poles. those protesters done fucked up, now that the truth is out lets divvy ukraines land up among the neighboring powers
ukraine is made up

babyhueypnewton posted:

lgp wtf are u talking about, do you think Obummer didn't bomb Syria because he had a change of heart? anti-imperialist movements around the world have defeated AmeriKKKan imperialism

yes, they have! they did it regardless of public opinion in the west though. (unless you're talking about iraq which is fair do's but then again it wdnt have been a factor unless US intervention had already happened, ie if all the chattering, protests and noise on the part of US leftists hadn't utterly failed that one time.) the trouble is, someone who tells the truth "imperialism is bad, don't do it" is not gonna convince nearly as many people as the one who says "it's costing us too much blood and treasure". i mean, is the answer to wear a liberal mask and keep wearing it forever?

Edited by littlegreenpills ()

Ukraine is socially constructed but so is a fucking tank formation

deadken posted:

what if you do have a media platform. i have over twelve hundred followers on twitter dot com and i think american imperialism is Bullshit

post about it on the internet. trouble is you still haven't convinced one person who didnt agree with you already

swampman posted:

deadken posted:

countries are getting too broke to bomb each other

tom friedman's golden straightjacket ftw

the golden straitjacket is merely a check on the tendency of inter-imperialist rivalry. i do now know how the first war between mcdonalds-possessing states will be fought, but i know that the next war will be fought with sticks and stones.

babyhueypnewton posted:

theres actually a 'trend' on revleft of "revolutionary nihilism" and its just as retarded as it sounds

lol you read revleft

deadken posted:

re that newsweek article crow posted: it's interesting but i think its biggest flaw (even beyond the whole 'you don't do this in a democracy' nonsense) is that it ascribes agency to the west and not to russia. putin had no choice but to react to nato expansionism, but it's not as if capital could have ever not expanded itself; neoliberalism constantly needs to seek out new spaces, new borderlands to restructure and immiserate or its contradictions will tear it apart, its force is blind and all-consuming. as american imperialism is nothing more than the armed guarantor of capitalist relations it's senseless to ask it to behave morally. we are not fighting policies but a monster, a mad ravenous brute that needs to be put down

yeah, okay, yes

and putin wields the flaming sword that can defeat it

yeah im sure that'll work. russia controls a large part of the world's oil, and we all know from history that whoever controls the oil is the one with the real advantage.

littlegreenpills posted:

yes, they have! they did it regardless of public opinion in the west though.

i think this is pretty important. driving against the discourse at the popular level in the west isn't really going to have any immediate noticeable effects, and for the most part things will continue as they would have otherwise (and it probably doesnt work most of the time) but it's more about laying some small bit of social groundwork that will pay dividends in the medium-to-long term depending on how many people do it.

ilmdge posted:

ukraine isnt real and theres no such thing as a ukrainian, its all russians and poles. those protesters done fucked up, now that the truth is out lets divvy ukraines land up among the neighboring powers

ukraine is to russia and poland as belgium is to france and holland

I'm living 300 kilometers from crimea and I wanna say am really glad for my country being part of NATO right now
enjoy youre ban

Tokyo_Sexwale posted:

I'm living 300 kilometers from crimea and I wanna say am really glad for my country being part of NATO right now

*glad OF

[account deactivated]

Tokyo_Sexwale posted:

The border between two empires, that's the sweet spot alright.

Tokyo_Sexwale posted:

youre a scared little shit hiding under the covers having nightmares of russia like a dumb little baby

littlegreenpills posted:

an attempt to fight against war mongering propaganda or cut through to the core of anything is a waste of time even in its own terms because you don't own a TV channel, and neither do i, and nor does anyone else who agrees with you.

yeah but i do own a facebook page and fighting propaganda feels really good. especially when you rain down a bunch of Sick Owns on some nubtards skull and just sandblast theyre @sses with a dozzen different well researched and immaculately sourced Posts and make them look stupid in front f all their freinds and u know theyre just sitting at home fuming and probably either cutting themselves or taking it out physically on all their uglyc hildren. s'good

littlegreenpills posted:

post about it on the internet. trouble is you still haven't convinced one person who didnt agree with you already

youre missing the point here. the goal of counterpropaganda isnt to change the minds of Propagandists. its to stymie, sequester, anger, and frustrate them into silence and ineffectivity. and thanks to modern social media, propaganda no longer needs to be disseminated directly by state apparatchiks. this isnt some David vs Goliath type situation. memes are self-propagating, each victim becomes a new vector for the mental disease. this happens through repetition,replication, and environmental saturation, not cognition or even real opinion. counterpropaganda isnt a cure, its an innoculation. every link in the chain you break, ever new infection you prevent becomes exponentially more minds and souls saved on down the road. herd immunity is effective

yeah its pretty nice that the state invests all this time and energy into hiring people to spread propaganda about venezuela on reddit and facebook and then it disappears in a day and everyone has moved on to advice aniimals. we're definitely entering a new age of memetic propaganda and im not sure its good for the state
http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DlsIcGL-qQ3c&start1=0&video2=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DfTOqplOTKjU%26feature%3Dplayer_detailpage&start2=&authorName=Natalia+poklonskaya+march

Found lgp's face book page, on face book https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whats-the-point/448336865241213
good page
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/head-ukraine-tv-beaten-camera-far-right-parliament-members-article-1.1727271#Svoboda

Parliament members of the far-fight Svoboda party strong-armed their way into the private office of Ukraine's National Television Company and beat up its president.

To add insult to injury, the politicians then penned a letter of resignation in front of Aleksandr Panteleymonov and forced him to sign it. Worse, they videotaped the attack and posted it online.

plus the western media response is hilarious:

German Nationalists hand Jews a propaganda coup with Holocaust

stegosaurus posted:

i do not know how the first war between mcdonalds-possessing states will be fought, but i know that the next war will be fought with sticks and stones.

Breaking: A country with a Mcdonalds is launching ICBMs at a country with a Burger King

HenryKrinkle posted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/head-ukraine-tv-beaten-camera-far-right-parliament-members-article-1.1727271#Svoboda

Parliament members of the far-fight Svoboda party strong-armed their way into the private office of Ukraine's National Television Company and beat up its president.

To add insult to injury, the politicians then penned a letter of resignation in front of Aleksandr Panteleymonov and forced him to sign it. Worse, they videotaped the attack and posted it online.

plus the western media response is hilarious:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

laughs ...
because the west sucks ass
https://twitter.com/methadonna/status/447568071213850624
http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/feb/07/eu-us-diplomat-victoria-nuland-phonecall-leaked-video
it's irritating how they focus on the use of the word fuck here, rather than the blatant imperialist intent in what they're discussing

ive always hated people who refuse to pronounce foreign names properly (or at least give a try and fail at it in an endearing way). it's such a shitty expat thing to do. the way she pronounces "yanukovych" should already mark the speaker for the gulag

MindMaster posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/feb/07/eu-us-diplomat-victoria-nuland-phonecall-leaked-videoit's irritating how they focus on the use of the word fuck here, rather than the blatant imperialist intent in what they're discussing

ive always hated people who refuse to pronounce foreign names properly (or at least give a try and fail at it in an endearing way). it's such a shitty expat thing to do. the way she pronounces "yanukovych" should already mark the speaker for the gulag

thats exactly how i pronounce champagne
this is how i pronounce champagne
[account deactivated]

hopefully they'll stop the disarming theyre doing and will re-arm again