if you want a good book on war you should read bravo two zero, is is awesome. it's about this british guy who goes to iraq and drinks radioactive water
im reading the ethics of psychoanalysis. it's really good but gonna take me forever to get through at this rate. i just returned huxley's crome yellow to the lib, it was a stupid book written with all the wrong writerly pretensions
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
I took a break from empire to read the last two books of the hunger games because I am a sucker for YA fiction with Strong Female Leads

...yuri manga ftw...?

[account deactivated]
If the egg's shell does not break, the chick will die without being born. We are the chick; the egg is the world. If the world's shell does not break, we will die without being born. Let's Break our shell! For the sake of revolutionizing the world!

Edited by germanjoey ()

i've been trying to get through the ticklish subject for about eight months now and i'm about four pages away from "whither oedipus"
I am reading dorothy lee's freedom and culture and a bunch of children's literature/reading teaching techniques for grad school.
I picked up that book about Foucault and the Iranian Revolution. im a good ways in and its been pretty informative though i admittedly know only a little about the iranian revolution and even less about foucault.
[account deactivated]
I'm reading contingency/hegemony/universality which is crazy good. well zizek's first bit really explained a lot to me that i wasn't sure about.

also "red sun" which is about the naxalites although sort of in a weird joking-journalistic travelogue way, rather than the more awed arundhati roy way, but it gets a lot of information across to a newbie like me.

i might (re)start a few books on lacan soon because i think that's where the rabbit hole goes.
whoa hold up i just read some bad shit from laclau: "my answer to Zizek's dichotomy between class struggle and postmodern identity politics is that class struggle is just one species of identity politics, and one which is becoming less and less important in the world in which we live." *record scratch* *stares at billions of poor* i don't think so, ernie!
zizek monster trolls in this book (CHU). he's like i know this isn't laclau's position (social-democracy) but people misinterpret him, then he insults laclau's position and calls for class warfare and such. so laclau gets like analytical in an exasperated way and breaks down point by point why zizek's points are ludicrous. so zizek goes yeah well i'm still right y'all clowning and if that makes me a left-fascist then so be it weirdos. but like reading laclau being all "you can't seriously reassert the primacy of class you idiot" but like in technical terms like "zizek's politics have not accelerated at the same speed as his critique of ideology" or something is funny as heck. that's all.
Taki's Mag has lots of hilarious articles chock-full of insightful social criticism. Here's an example they just posted:

http://takimag.com/article/the_emperors_new_body
Wow Great Post

Edited by babyfinland ()

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
aerdil brings up an interesting question: what's the Rhizzone policy on internet detectivery?
lungfish if i ever spot you walking around san francisco im going to give u a real stern lecture about communism and feminism

lungfish posted:
aerdil brings up an interesting question: what's the Rhizzone policy on internet detectivery?

its a no no

[account deactivated]

lungfish posted:
Taki's Mag has lots of hilarious articles chock-full of insightful social criticism. Here's an example they just posted:

cool some racist garbage just what I've been looking for

aerdil posted:
lungfish if i ever spot you walking around san francisco im going to give u a real stern lecture about communism and feminism

Maybe you'll get your chance at Tuesday's meetup.

babyfinland posted:

lungfish posted:

cool some racist garbage just what I've been looking for

oy! we don't post racist shit aroudn these here parts boyo

http://niqnaq.wordpress.com/2010/12/03/yahweh-son-of-el/

indeed

passive-aggressive too
hmm yes that has always been a part of the schtick

Impper posted:
the only refutation needed for twitter is those people posting pictures from riots and using thousands of people to try to identify rioters

there were also dozens of people on twitter submitting fake names. i recorded a macro to submit fake names + locations for every pic and had it run over a thousand times. my made-up tweets about looting shit also made it onto japanese national tv which was cool

i guess my point is that social media isn't either positive or negative, it just depends on who happens to be on it

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

Impper posted:
the only refutation needed for twitter is those people posting pictures from riots and using thousands of people to try to identify rioters

there were also dozens of people on twitter submitting fake names. i recorded a macro to submit fake names + locations for every pic and had it run over a thousand times. my made-up tweets about looting shit also made it onto japanese national tv which was cool

nice

Here's a New Right blog to read through. http://www.amerika.org/

Were the Nazis full of hatred? Not at first, one thinks, but then they discovered how easy it was to blame the Jews and Freemasons, homosexuals and dissidents.

Insightful blog, would read again

Moses Finley

Impper posted:
discipline posted:
Impper posted:
im reading a bunch of hipster fiction basically, and more celine

what qualifies as hipster fiction? besides my tumblr i mean
Отредактировано by discipline (today 20:17:58)

krasznahorkai, henry millre, blanchot, and michaux, and osamu dazai. also marinkovic but ive only read like 20 pages of his book cyclops so far.

marinkovic's cool, have you read curzio malaparte's kaputt? the subject matter's fairly similar iirc.

i pick up steppenwolf again. is everyone supposed to read it and be like "oh yeah that's me." i mean i guess, everyone thinks they are a unique snowflake. but umm. i think i have a better claim on it.
me and deadken had a big steppenwolf discussion on widdip. anyway i said that i identified to a large extent with haller, but obviously by the end hesse is sort of repudiating most of his opinions and attitudes, and saying that it's sort of destructive and cuts you off from being immortal, even though obviously it can't really be helped. ken identified with haller much less than me, and i bet i identify with him muhc less than you.

i'm reading kierkegaard's either/or right now and it just might be my favorite book of all time. the first half is written as a 25 year old melancholic aesthete and.. well... i've never seen someone write things so consistently that mirror my exact thoughts and feelings. it's a little creepy in that i am like literally a 25 year old sad dane
kierkegaard owns
sounds good, i hadn't heard of it before
im really enjoying the hamlet, i think afterwards ill do either absalom absalom or the light in august
i accidentally bought a duplicate houellebecq because vintage books re-released "the elementary particles" as "atomised" and i forgot to check the french title to see if it was the same book. upside: only cost me $7. i'm reading it now.