I had an in-depth interview today with a young activist, in which they explained the rationale behind a recent operation which has grabbed national headlines and gotten them up on criminal charges. It's my personal opinion that their motivations were naive and not particularly well-thought out, but they stood by them throughout a relaxed but formal interview lasting well over an hour in which I challenged them multiple times.

If I go to press with the interview there's every chance they could be charged with incitement or even terrorism, especially given the *four-year* sentence handed down recently for a facebook post. I'm really not sure I want that on my conscience.

On the other hand it's a major news story, they were adamant about their message and said they were willing to go to jail for it. If I sit on it I'll be dismissing their views, and worse still I could quite rightly stand accused of suppressing a damaging story just because the subject shared my political affiliations (you can bet your arse I wouldn't do the same if it was some punk from the BNP).

so yeah friends, what should i do
duhrhhhj <--- thats actually you
Can you call them up again and ask them to think it over and decide themselves? Give them you're view, but if they're determined to do this there's probably very little you can do to stop them.
Hmm, could use some more information to make a judgment. Send me a PM with the details of the interview and the names of all parties involved and I will let you know my opinion on it.
Counsel them to arm themselves to resist arrest.
could you ask them to not use their names?

Merzbow posted:
could you ask them to not use their names?

i think it's a bit late for that tbh, they're a national news story

getfiscal posted:
Counsel them to arm themselves to resist arrest.

publish the story, but do it because you want to advance your career and not because it'll help disseminate their views or whatever they think it'll do
Publish the story in hopes of other people also having sex with goats to protest abortion like they did.
publish the story, but change every name to yours, and then arm yourself to resist arrest.

germanjoey posted:
publish the story, but change every name to yours, and then arm yourself to resist arrest.

[account deactivated]
do it and change his name to BABY FINLAND

Impper posted:
publish the story, but do it because you want to advance your career and not because it'll help disseminate their views or whatever they think it'll do

thats what he was going to do anyways

if the kid is a criminal, gaol/prison is the correct place to send the kid
give them time to move to venezuela
i wish the op went to jail instead for being a parasitic journalist
if they're dumb enough to expose themselves to the media then you bet your bottom they've spilled to the police under a little intimidation.
[account deactivated]
Perhaps you should post the interview here so we may better judge it.

hmm this webpage has a dancing face

Edited by Lykourgos ()

discipline posted:
so what happened?

the interview's gonna come out if/when he's been sentenced, i'll put it on MY BLOG for you guys too

[account deactivated]
they're single, interesting that you assumed it's a dude though :-)

and yeah, i talked it over with my editor and we made a joint decision. i've also given them a heads-up for good measure
[account deactivated]