[account deactivated]
I think it might be instructive to consider what place in the economic strata of their home societies is occupied by the representative economic migrant as well. i am not going to do this however. or anything. ever. im fat5
[account deactivated]
the crisis is exacerbating and redirecting it too. immigration to the US from Mexico has actually dropped off a lot.

as far as what to do, i think trying to reach out is really important because they quite rightly tend to be scared.
i think the article's premise sort of defeats itself. as cheap energy has proliferated, things like travel and communications have become easier, and also the ability to make a life on a lower wage also increases. i certainly don't want to say people in the third world have it good, but on a comparative basis it might not be that much worse to be average in the third world today than to be poor in the first.

this is pure conjecture though

Impper posted:
i think the article's premise sort of defeats itself. as cheap energy has proliferated, things like travel and communications have become easier, and also the ability to make a life on a lower wage also increases. i certainly don't want to say people in the third world have it good, but on a comparative basis it might not be that much worse to be average in the third world today than to be poor in the first.

this is pure conjecture though

lmao

a rising tide lifts all boats

Impper posted:
as cheap energy has proliferated

our grandchildren will look on us with awe and contempt as soon as they understand

yeah we got your irregular labourers here. guys with three arms, guys with no arms, fuck, we even got guys that got one leg out their shoulder. crab walks like a motherfuck. great prices for you.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
is there any reason not to expect + prepare for a 'children of men' scenario for immigrant labour?
[account deactivated]
i feel weird exposing one of my guilty pleasures here but take a look at http://www.iampissedoff.com; the site is completely inconsequential which makes it chillingly representative. observe the ubiquity of brit racism
it seems to me theres a storm of forces pulling society towards that scenario with little to resist/disrupt it.
if thats gonna be the baseline its better to accept it than be burdened with false hope imo.

perhaps the best outcome is that europe succeeds in destroying its economy swiftly & goes back to feudal strife before they get the non-white camps/ghettoes chugging...
fear of the saracen horde is literally the foundational myth of "europe"

how is europe even a continent. think about it.
the serbs saved europe
ahhhhh....

The Baltic states have discovered a new way to cut unemployment and cut budgets for social services: emigration. If enough people of working age are forced to leave to find work abroad, unemployment and social service budgets will both drop.

This simple mathematics explains what the algebra of austerity-plan advocates are applauding today as the “New Baltic Miracle” for Greece, Spain, and Italy to emulate. The reality, however, is a model predicated on economic shrinkage as a result of wage cuts. In the case of Latvia, this was some 30 per cent for Latvian public-sector employees (euphemized as “internal devaluation”). With a set of flat taxes on employment adding up to 59 per cent in Latvia (while property taxes are only 1 per cent), it would seem hard indeed to present this as a success story.

But one hears only celebratory praise from the neoliberal lobbyists whose policies have de-industrialized and stripped the Baltic economies of Lithuania and Latvia, leaving them debt-ridden and uncompetitive. It is as if their real estate collapse from bubble-level debt leveraging that left their basic infrastructure in the hands of kleptocrats, is a free market success story.

What then does a neoliberal “free market” mean?

After a half-century struggle for independence, the Balts emerged in a world where neoliberal policies were the global fashion, and where the dress code and face control were initially enforced by the world’s international financial institutions–and later even more aggressively internalized by Baltic policymakers themselves. Twenty years of neoliberal policy after emerging from Soviet rule have left the Baltics a mess. On the lead up to the 2008 global economic crisis and the world’s biggest collapses the financial press was praising the Baltic Tigers for dutifully imposing rule by bankers.

Now, after the storm has quieted in the Baltics, Anders Aslund and other apologists are at it again as they promote the Baltic model. Aslund did so most recently with his Petersen Institute banking industry funded book on Latvia’s “remarkable” rebound. The only thing he failed to mention was that Latvians were voting with their feet in record numbers. Latvians were exiting at a rate of roughly 1 per cent of the population per month in an exodus of Biblical proportions. Indeed, Latvian’s census makers were horrified when they discovered that that the country’s population had decreased from 2.3 to 1.9 million people from 2001-2011.

As the economic crisis intensified, unemployment grew from a relatively low level of 4.1 per cent in 2007 to 18.3 per cent in the second quarter of 2010 with a concomitant increase in emigration from 26,600 in 2007 to 83,200 in 2010. This was the highest level of emigration since 1945 and comparable only with the depopulation of the country during World War II. Since the restoration of independence in 1990, out of a population of some 3.7 million 615,000 had left the country; three fourths were young persons (up to 35 years old), many of them educated and with jobs in Lithuania. By 2008, the emigration rate from Lithuania became the highest among the EU countries (2.3 per 1,000), and double that of the next highest country, Latvia (1.1 per 1,000).

Forecasts for the period 2008-35 suggest a demographic decline by a further 10.9 per cent, one of the highest rates in the EU (following Bulgaria and Latvia). The 2011 population census seemed only to confirm these grim prognostications. Demographers previously proved to have been too optimistic in their forecasts (the latest issued in 2010) and had overestimated the size of the Lithuanian population by about 200,000. Instead of the forecasted 3.24 million, the census found that by 2011 Lithuania’s population was only just over 3 million (3.054 ml)

These grim numbers suggest a kind of euthanizing taking place of the small Baltic nations. This, ironically, after having survived two World Wars, two occupations, and several economic collapses in the 20th century. Indeed, at the end of the Soviet occupation, Latvians and Lithuanians were replacing themselves through natural reproduction. By contrast, today, the twin forces of emigration and low births have conspired to create a demographic disaster.

The only thing he failed to mention was that Latvians were voting with their feet in record numbers.

there's this one fucker out there already advocating a "solution" for this: http://www.chartercities.org/

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
uhm... obv u havent seen the TED video for charter cities yet??? shaw... its gonna fix our probs
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
are u trying to imply that Stanford University professor and Nobel Prize candidate Paul Romer is the second coming of christ? u just might be right.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
its an elegant technocratic solution to the problem of regulations and human rights that get in the way of business in the third world, since as you know these nations already have the most stringent rules for corporations. a company given free reign will undoubtedly create a veritable disneyland of clean and hightech infrastructure, and treat their employees just as well
hm, this other ted talk might interest you, by a genuine african!

We know the negative images of Africa -- famine and disease, conflict and corruption. But, says Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, there's another, less-told story happening in many African nations: one of reform, economic growth and business opportunity.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ngozi_okonjo_iweala_on_doing_business_in_africa.html

"In 2003, President Olusegun Obasanjo and Finance Minister Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala embarked on a radical economic reform program, which reduced government spending through conservative fiscal policies, and saw the deregulation and privatization of numerous industries in Nigerian services sector — notably the Nigerian Telecommunications (NITEL) industry"
GOD MY MOM IS SO FUCKING STUPID.
SHE HAS KNOWN ALL SUMMER I'VE NEEDED TO GET MY HAIR CUT BEFORE SCHOOL.
LABOR DAY WEEKEND ROLLS AROUND, AND SHE'S PISSED OFF AT -ME- BECAUSE MY OLD SALON CLOSED.
I CAN'T FUCKING HELP THAT IT CLOSED FOREVER. MAYBE YOU SHOULD BLAME THE ECONOMY. OH WAIT, THE RECESSION IS MY FAULT TOO, ISN'T IT?
IT'S A SUNDAY. NO SALONS ARE OPEN ON SUNDAY, TOMORROW IS LABOR DAY. NOTHING IS OPEN ON FUCKING LABOR DAY. SCHOOL STARTS TUESDAY.
SHE'S MAD AT ME.
I'VE BEEN REMINDING HER FOR THE PAST TWO WEEKS I NEED MY HAIR CUT.

OH AND LET'S NOT FORGET HOW ASKING HER HOW TO COOK POTATOES WILL GIVE HER A FUCKING HEART ATTACK.
YES, I LITERALLY POLIETLY ASKED HER HOW I SCHOOL COOK A FUCKING -POTATO- AND SHE SAID I'M GOING TO GIVE HER A HEART ATTACK.
WELL DAMN BITCH IT'S NOT MY FAULT YOU'RE GOOD FOR NOTHING AND CAN'T TEACH YOUR DAUGHTER HOW TO COOK A FUCKING POTATO.

LET'S NOT FORGET WHEN SHE TOOK ME AND MY SHOPPING EITHER. I SPENT ALL MY MONEY ON CLOTHES FOR SCHOOL.
WHAT DID MY SISTER SPEND IT ON?
SHOES.
THEY'RE NOT EVEN CUTE SHOES.
NOW SHE'S COMPLAINING ABOUT NEEDING CLOTHES. MY MOM SAID "SHE'S THE ONE GETTING JIPPED"
NO SHE'S FUCKING NOT, SHE COULD HAVE BOUGHT HERSELF A SHITLOAD OF CLOTHES LIKE I DID, INSTEAD OF BUYING TWO PAIRS OF FUCKING SHOES.

I AM SO SICK OF MY MOM. THIS ALL MAY SOUND PETTY BUT I REALLY DON'T GIVE A FUCK. OVER THE COURSE OF MY LIFE ALL OF HER ATTENION IS SET ON MY SISTER OR HERSELF. I DON'T GET SHIT. THEY ALL GET EVERY FUCKING THING THEY WANT. AND SHE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHY I DON'T FUCKING LIKE HER. MAYBE IF SHE WOULD TAKE SOME TIME AND ACTUALLY LISTEN TO ME OR GIVE ME THE TIME OF FUCKING DAY. OR STOP FOCUSING ON MY SISTER AND PAY ATTENTION TO THE DAUGHTER THAT TAKES CARE OF HERSELF, CLEANS, HELPS AROUND THE HOUSE, AND GETS GREAT FUCKING GRADES IN SCHOOL. THE ONE THAT IS ACTUALLY WELL-LIKED AND NICE TO EVERYONE.
UNLIKE MY SISTER. WHO LEAVES A TRAIL OF FUCKING GARBAGE EVERYWHERE SHE GOES.
WHO SITS ON HER ASS ALL DAY BEING A BITCH TO EVERYONE AND ANYTHING SHE CAN.
same.
I know exactly the kinds of struggles that people can go through because of having to migrate in order to find work due to economic hardship. I was out of work for over three months because there were no more positions in my native Luxemborg for people with my IT specialization. In the end I had to answer an add from Switzerland, move my stuff all the way down there, and now I can only see my girlfriend on weekends. It was a real harrowing experience.
I AM HETERO
LESBIAN IS PIG
DO YOU WANT A FISH PIE?
DO YOU WANT A STRAP ON?
LESBIAN IS PIG DISGUSTING
KD LANG IS A MURDERER
FUCKING LESBIANS
DO YOU WANT A FISH PIE?
but did you get TED