but there are plenty of beings of your exact same species who think jellyfish look terrifying and disgusting, aren't particularly moved by figurative art, think bats with grotesque faces and beetles with death's heads on them are cool as hell, are terrified of white birds, cannot fall asleep without the jarring chorus of the tree frogs and the howler monkeys, and so on and so on
it's a bit of a mishap if your universal observations don't involve you going outside of your own head
tendency ain't a guarantee
that's on the level of positing a tendency towards Reagan avatars here on da 'zzone
i mean it's not exactly surprising that beings who swim in a sea of culture how different ideas on aesthetics but imo the commonalities are striking
so are the differences. there are people on here, real live english speaking people, who dislike the smell of cumin. they use it as shorthand for the smell of an unwashed vagrant. Cumin! come on, it's one of the most delicious spices

littlegreenpills posted:

so are the differences. there are people on here, real live english speaking people, who dislike the smell of cumin. they use it as shorthand for the smell of an unwashed vagrant. Cumin! come on, it's one of the most delicious spices

i guess i don't see why this matters? those people still have a sense of beauty and hopefully sometimes perceive it in things not tangled up in their personal sex drive. if i said i also find it curious that the universe seems to be built to create and support life would you counterargue with "but there are a lot of different forms of life"?

wait wait wait wait we're not talking about the universal ability to perceive beauty, we're talking about certain things being universally seen as beautiful. like practically everything in the whole world is the result of a historical process, what are you gonna base calling anything "universal" on. also anthropic principle is dum and insulting to Allah basically
i'm definitely not trying to talk about any particular things being universally seen as beautiful. rather, that the world is full of beautiful things. many of these things are created by humans and can be explained by common culture and biology; but many aren't and can't. individuals may disagree on particular examples but i think most agree with the general statement

i dunno man? i'm not trying to convert you, but nerds like me gotta take what we can get

thirdplace posted:

i think most agree with the general statement

this is what you're absolutely failing to demonstrate

trying to ground beauty in reason... no thanks.

littlegreenpills posted:

this is what you're absolutely failing to demonstrate

if you can't see beauty in a coral reef or cardinal or a redwood forest or an orchid or a crystal formation or a peacock tail or at least some of those then it sucks to be you i guess! most people can and do

getfiscal posted:

but what about reason in beauty???

thirdplace posted:

sexual selection explains the existence of extraneous flourishes to demonstrate surplus fitness but it does not explain the form of those flourishes and in particular it does not explain that form routinely retaining appeal between entities seperated by 100s of millions of years of development

plus, jellyfish look good, as do many rocks; no sexual selection there. to rest it on mere symmetry is to simultaniously fail to explain the absence of platonic geometries floating around in the ocean and to miss the point

this is pretty weak. the jellyfish's form appeals to us because our minds are pattern-seeking and narrative-driven. our form probably does not "appeal" to the jellyfish.

i'm sexy as hell to jellyfish. in fact that's the only animal i am considered sexy to.
[account deactivated]
jellyfish rape cave
well what do you expect when you show too much tentacle

getfiscal posted:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medical-education/other-studies/aesthetics

aesthetics is the ghost in the machine of reality and why i can't subscribe wholly to materialism
Point of order: the thread title is to be taken as a given in this thread. You can talk about crises of faith or any other god chat you feel like, but please no autistic "arguments for the existence of God" or I will grab and unleash thread moderating powers to probate you so hard you'll be seeing stars for a week so help me God

iFederico posted:

The arguments for the existence of God are so poor that a shitty first year philosophy student who has read Mackie should be able to deal with them. The usual response to that is to a) either shift the burden of proof (Plantinga et al) or b) invoke science you don't understand (Deepak et al).

plantinga? i 'ardly knew er
The god exists but it doesn't particularly care about you.
god is real because no-one has disproved zhe doesn't exist basically
Whether God exists or not, we should believe in Him.
If god is real, and I'm not saying god is real, but if god is real, then I pray my dick get big as the eiffel tower so I can fuck the WOOOOOORRRRRLD for 72 hours
http://youtu.be/8XGKgQ8jJC4?t=5m1s
[account deactivated]
PLEASE do not troll.
[account deactivated]
that was a pretty sweet video too back in their slipknot days

I'm God.

statickinetics posted:

I'm God.

statickinetics posted:

I'm God.

<church lady voice> Well isn't that special

if we discuss liberation theology without addressing theism itself isn't that just adopting theology as agitprop & patronizing actual people of faith

drwhat posted:

if we discuss liberation theology without addressing theism itself isn't that just adopting theology as agitprop & patronizing actual people of faith

What in the Lord's name did you just say about me, you little atheist? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in Ministry school, and I have over 300 confirmed prayers. I am trained in the religion Baptist and I'm the top Priest in the entire Christian religion. You are nothing to me but another non believer.
I will teach you the word of God with the largest choir that has ever been seen; mark my works. You think you can get away with not believing in a god? Think again, atheist. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of churches across the USA and you're going to be forced to believe in god right now, so you better prepare for the faith, sir. The faith that wipes out the pathetic thing you call atheism. You're Christian now, sir. I can teach you anywhere, anytime, and I can preach in over seven hundred ways, and that's just off the top of my head. Not only am I extensively trained in preaching from memory, but I have access to the entire mob of the United States Christian Club and I will use it to its full extent to force you into Christianity, you little atheist. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little religion was about to bring down upon you, maybe you wouldn't have challenged the word of god. But you couldn't, you didn't and now you're praying the price, you imbecile. I will teach the word of God all over you and you will drown in it. You're a christian now, kiddo.

id ont believe in god because atheism is just more epic
church is some stupud bullshit i dont think the creator of the whole wide worlds gonna give a fuck if i stay home and watch naruto
idk wat liberation thrology is tho. sorry everyone
liberation theology is when you go to church and instead of telling you to be depressed they tell you to be angry.
sounds like fun