American freelance photographer freed in Syria
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/american-freelance-photographer-freed-in-syria/2016/04/08/8628e5d0-fd88-11e5-80e4-c381214de1a3_story.html

Adam Goldman posted:

The Syrian regime has freed an American freelance photographer who was abducted after traveling to the country in 2012, according to two U.S. officials.

Kevin Patrick Dawes, 33, from San Diego, was released following many months of negotiations, said the officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the details of Dawes’s release have not yet been made public.

Dawes was recently allowed to call his family and receive care packages, a signal to officials that the Syrian government was moving toward releasing him. The U.S. State Department had taken the lead on winning Dawes’s release. It’s unclear if American officials talked directly with the Syrian government or through an intermediary.

Dawes’s family did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Dawes’s case drew little attention in the media but his release is believed to be a positive sign in securing the freedom of journalist Austin Tice, another American hostage and former U.S. Marine who disappeared in Syria in 2012.

A handout flyer released by the FBI. (Federal Bureau of Investigations)
The Syrian government has never acknowledged detaining Tice, but U.S. officials believe the regime or a group affiliated with it is holding him.

Dawes was taken after crossing into Syria from Turkey, according to the FBI.

Why would the Syrian government not admit they had him in custody?
Dawes’s case drew little attention in the media but his release is believed to be a positive sign in securing the freedom of journalist Austin Tice, another American hostage and former U.S. Marine who disappeared in Syria in 2012.

haha nobody (except goons) care about this guy

he was pretty entertaining tho and probably helped kill some libyan/syrian 'revolutionaries' by pretending to be a doctor for them so good on him
from san diego huh. goon project
I always believed he was still out there. I could feel it. Godspeed Caro, godspeed

brown moses....making incorrect assumptions??
IMO he was talking about a scene from Syriana

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

brown moses....making incorrect assumptions??

the only time i ever posted on badgame i was calling out brown moses's faulty assumptions with this important distinction:

I'm just glad he will now be able to view Star Wars: The Force Awakens now
Prequel fanboys are bitter old cunts about new star wars and its funny
i don't really care about space stuff but the words "prequel fanboys" caused my brain to seize up, like, wait, are there really fans of the prequels?
hopefully he gets the mental care he needs now. if u think about it, 4 years in prison for joining an islamist army and probably killing multiple people aint that bad. looking forward to the softball npr interview.

getfiscal posted:

i don't really care about space stuff but the words "prequel fanboys" caused my brain to seize up, like, wait, are there really fans of the prequels?

yes and they are baffling human beings and i really think they largely have autism

they're just kids with nostalgia, it's not complicated
it's deeper and crazier than that. they've crafted a mythology around them as secret works of genius
[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:

star wars are childrens movies so yeah if they were children when they were released they like them nostalgicly. they even like jar jar binks. ive had this baffled conversation with millennials before

star wars was never a children's movie. children like them but they were movies for teens and up
fanboy nostalgia is some of the dumbest shit in the world
i liked this thing before my skull fused so i have to like it as a 35 year old man - a thing people think by the fuckin millions

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

star wars was never a children's movie. children like them but they were movies for teens and up

[Lucas] did a lot in the background with this,

[account deactivated]
I am utterly shocked that there are actual Star Wars prequel fanboys and that Caro is still alive.

Urbandale posted:

from san diego huh. goon project

lol

can you imagine being the state department guy assigned to this?

like all your friends are jetting around bribing military officers in fancy restaurants in paris to launch a coup on someone because hillary didnt like the tapas at the state dinner in rumpistan or like taking sheikhs and israeli politicians out to resorts with wild sex parties and a bunch of weapons brochures, and here you are, looking for that guy.

asking around about the lost crazy goon dude that went to africa and the mideast to pretend to be a medic and try to be a death squad groupie and probably just got pinched for trying to get his hanzo sword through customs.

and then you actually succeed and like instead of a bunch of lockheed stock transferred through your grandmothers accounts or whatever, now you have to go pick this fool up from jail and hold his hand on the plane halfway around the world as his only friend and personal savior.

and then after that, you're back home trying to get your next assignment and what do you have to impress with? steve over there bought the election for the capitalist party in venezuela. you brought some crazy guy back to be on social security disability forever.

MarxUltor posted:

can you imagine being the state department guy assigned to this?

like all your friends are jetting around bribing military officers in fancy restaurants in paris to launch a coup on someone because hillary didnt like the tapas at the state dinner in rumpistan or like taking sheikhs and israeli politicians out to resorts with wild sex parties and a bunch of weapons brochures, and here you are, looking for that guy.

asking around about the lost crazy goon dude that went to africa and the mideast to pretend to be a medic and try to be a death squad groupie and probably just got pinched for trying to get his hanzo sword through customs.

and then you actually succeed and like instead of a bunch of lockheed stock transferred through your grandmothers accounts or whatever, now you have to go pick this fool up from jail and hold his hand on the plane halfway around the world as his only friend and personal savior.

and then after that, you're back home trying to get your next assignment and what do you have to impress with? steve over there bought the election for the capitalist party in venezuela. you brought some crazy guy back to be on social security disability forever.

you'll get a better assignment someday. just keep at it.

"freelance photographer"

did caro ever make any pretensions about being a photographer? i mostly remember him uploading video of shooting a gun and "helping out" with medical stuff.
i think they just went with "freelance photographer" because "fucking crazy american lunatic" isnt a phrase a good journalist would use
When he first went to Libya, he was taking photos and video, I remember seeing that. I think one went kinda famous and there was a doctor commenting on how he was killing the people he was trying to play medic on
torturing trhe fuck out of caro would have been moral as all hell